Saturday, September 19, 2009

Bad Day for Passengers

Things are still going strong coming into the second half of September, which has been totally unexpected. I was under the impression at the beginning of the month that the busy time would be wrapping up, but apparently thats not the case.

Yesterday was cold, wet and miserable however. There was a strange layer of mist blanketing the entire route of flight, giving a vertical visibility of 1000-1500 ft and forward vis of around 3-5 miles. The temperature on the ground stayed between 4-6 degrees C for the better part of the day, but a high pressure system was forecast to move in from the north and push the bad weather away. On my first flight I took off with two passengers onboard and initially climbed to 1000 ft into a headwind. It was pretty turbulent as well as wet and rainy underneath the cloud layer, but I could see the sun and just a tint of blue sky above me, so it looked like this mist/cloud layer was pretty thin. One of my passengers was really not enjoying the ride, she was very nervous, tapping her knee and wringing her hands. The longer we flew the more nervous she got, eventually to the point where she was shivering out of nervousness. I figured for the sake of my passengers I'd pop up another thousand feet or so to get on top of the cloud layer, where we'd see the sun and hopefully the turbulence would taper off a bit as well.

Once at 2000 however I looked up again but it still looked the same, I could still just barely see a bit of blue sky and the sun piercing through the mist, but now I was flying on instruments as the ground had long disappeared. The layer didn't look like it was this thick, but oh well, it can't be more then another few hundred feet before pop out the top. At 3000 ft nothing had changed. We were still in the layer of mist - it was such a strange phenomenon. Here I was 2000 ft higher than I was initially yet looking up still looked exactly the same. It looked like just a thin layer of mist above me. I considered continuing the climb even further, but the temperature was very close to zero degrees as it was, so I didn't want to get any higher and start picking up ice, and we were flying into a headwind, so I didn't want to fight too strong of winds either, so I conceded defeat and started a descent back down to where I could see the ground. Conditions were the same all the way up the coast, so we spent the remainder of the flight bouncing around in the rain and mist at 1000 ft.

Once we landed and unloaded my passengers, I had 5 more waiting ready to come back with me. We got all loaded up and ready to start up when one of the ladies on board said, "No, I can't do it". Can't do it? She was a little larger so I assumed the leg room wasn't enough or something and asked if she wanted to sit in the front where there's a little more leg room. Her friend explained that she was too nervous because of the weather. Oh, not much I could do about that. I could see how it was a bit of an indimidating day to fly - like I said it was cold, rainy, and the winds were quite gusty. In the end we departed with only 3 of the 5 passengers back southbound. The way back was bumpy, but eneventful and quick as we caught a stiff tailwind for the return leg.

My second trip was the same thing. I decided not to experiment with the cloud layer this time however and just stayed at 1000. A Navajo from the other local carrier that departed about the same time I did for the same destination decided to try to get on top however. They advised they were climbing to 3500 ft. I wondered if I missed the cloud tops by a mere couple hundred feet, since I only climbed to 3000. A few minutes later they radioed an advisory that they were now at 4500 ft and level. They had been fooled by the illusion as well, and ended up having to go higher.

The pilots for that carrier are regulars in the area like me, so we're on pretty familiar terms and usually all recognize each other's voices, so I keyed the mic, "Did you manage to find the top of that mist?"

"Ya we popped out at about 4200 ft."

I remarked that I tried that on my last flight but gave up at 3000.

"Hey Chad have you been to **** already today?"

"Yep."

"What are the winds like?"

I tried to remember exactly how the windsock looked. I tend to have a short-term memory and forget entirely what the conditions were at the airport on my last visit, but I managed to pull the mental image of the windsock out of the back of my brain.

"Ahh, gusting about 12-15 knots, pretty much 90 degrees [to the runway direction]."

"Alllll-riiiiighhht."

I smiled to myself. I guess I'm not the only one who likes crosswind landings - they keep life interesting.

By the time I was southbound again for the second time the High Pressure system was starting to work its magic you could see it starting to clear up in the north, but it was still pretty turbulent. About 10 minutes from landing one of my passengers tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I had a tissue. "Sorry no I don't." I turned around to see their young son leaning into a sick bag that his mother was holding for him. Poor guy. Not a good day for my passengers apparently. One terrified flyer, another one that cancelled out of panic, and now a sick kid. I haven't yet had an adult puke in the airplane, but that would make my 3rd child, all probably under 5 that haven't been able to hold it in on the bumpy days. All in a day's work of a pilot I guess.

5 comments:

  1. And me who thought you would share with all of us your magical trick for preventing motion sickness in young kids :-) It's always a difficult timing issue for adults: if you deploy the air sickness bag too late you loose. If you take it out too early you can be sure the sight of the bag will make the kid throw up. Do your passengers take air sickness over-the-counter medication? Do you recommend that to them?

    With nervous adults I tried to explain the physics of thermals to them, naively hoping that they would no longer fear turbulences if they understand what cause them. That didn't really work, I think I scared them even more.

    Yeah, that illusion with "the top is just a hundred feet above, I can nearly see it" is a very powerful one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ya I have no secrets for preventing air sickness.

    And ya I've learned explaining physics, nor reassuring pax how safe it is doesn't really help. Nervous passengers deal with an irrational fear... so it can't be chased away by rationality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about irrational fears. And I guess it doesn't help either if the pilot goes "yihhhhaa!!!" with every bump :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preventing air sickness; I've always been told to look outside... look in the distance. I got sick on my CPL ride and had to enter a hold for about 15 minutes before I could continue. On each leg I would look ahead in the distance, seemed to work. But, I think fatigue also plays a factor. When I am tired I seem to find that motion sickness comes on a lot easier. - I went on a SAR flight a couple years ago in the Hannah Bay area and up some rivers. It was a hot day with strong southwest winds so I informed my passegers. Two natives and a white guy and told them it would be very rough for the entire flight and made sure they were ok with that before we left. Everyone said they were okay with it. Sure enough, bumpy as hell.. we often had to go down very low level to identify the occupants of the boats we did come across to see if it was the people we were looking for. Ended up flying around for almost 2 hours by the time we decided to come back. Everyone seemed to be ok.. it was hot in the plane and everyone was sipping on bottle water... 5 minutes from landing the white guy hurled all over the back of the copilot seat and on himself. I was trying to not laugh because he looked like a little boy that didn't see it coming. I handed him some paper towel that I carry in one pocket of my flight bag (for such occasions) and he appologized but told him it was okay... he helped me clean it up on the ground... that was the worst mess I had. Usually, everyone uses the sick bags. This reminds me of the fatigue issue. People hung over get motion sick very easily. Flying skis this spring I had a guy dry heaving for about 5 minutes.. poor guy was shaking like a leaf by the time he got out. I managed to hold back my laugh that time but it was hard because his buddy was bumbing out in the back the whole time... I guess he won't drink the night before he flies again. Because it wasn't that bumpy that time. Just light. So many story tell eh Chad. Haha.. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually mention if my passengers are white or native, but.. you just have to picture two large native guys sitting there with their arms crossed like there is no turbulence at all, meanwhile this white guy is sitting there hunched over covered in puke... maybe the natives are seasoned passengers. Either that or crossing your arms prevents motion sickness. Haha.

    ReplyDelete