Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Who wouldn't wanna be me?

Last night I found myself in an empty airplane on the last flight of the day westbound into a beautifully clear sky with the sun setting in front of me. I was in a good mood and was rocking out on my MP3 player to Keith Urban's "Who wouldn't wanna be me" song as I was flying and watching the sun set.

I always like to lock my gaze on the sun and witness the exact moment that the last sliver of the sun disappears below the horizon. I know I shouldn't look directly at the sun, but at least I was still wearing sunglasses. I usually forget to take them off when the evening light starts to fade, and inevitably end up wondering why the cockpit lighting doesn't seem to be as bright as I think it should be. That's when I remember that I'm still wearing sunglasses.

Well just as soon as the sun went down, I remember reading Alan Cockrell's post on his blog http://alancockrell.blogspot.com/ about having the sun and moon on his "yo-yo string" and being able to make the sun or moon come back into the sky after it had already set by climbing. I imagined how that would be cool to see. I assumed you could only see that flying a jet aircraft that has the power to quickly climb into altitudes well above what little piston aircraft can do... or could you? Could my little Cherokee haul the sun back up to this side of the horizon? Nah... there's no way. I almost didn't try it. Then in a split second, now or never decision I pushed the mixture, prop, and power levers in and pulled back into the best climb the little Cherokee could muster. When I had finished converting my kinetic energy into altitude I pushed the nose back down into a more reasonable attitude and looked to where the sun had set. NO WAY! Sure enough, a mere 1000 ft climb had summoned about a quarter of that orange glowing disk back into the atmosphere. I broke out laughing hysterically in disbelief. What a sight!

Fantastic. Who wouldn't wanna be me?

3 comments:

  1. Wish I was with you on that flight. I miss the sunset - we can't see it at home for the forest. Tonight was a beautiful pink sky behind whispy clouds. Check out sunsets in PNG by Beth Sutton on Facebook. I'll send them to you if you can't find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it unashamed. I wish I was you...haha.

    Luckily I can live vicariously through your blog, without having to get all creepy-stalker-single-white-female.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm halfway through my Night Rating, you make me want to be finished with it soon and fly West just before sunset!

    ReplyDelete