Friday, August 21, 2009

You're in Luck

We had a bunch of freight flights today from off the train that we were supposed to take up, but the train doesn't come in until the afternoon, and we had some thunderstorms roll in.

So this morning I just had the one, a passenger flight to the east. I got my orders to head out to the airport, get the plane ready and my one passenger was going to meet me there. Usually passengers wait for us just on the groundside of the airport gate, which is in line of sight of where we park the Cherokee. After getting out there, fueling up and doing my preflight I still couldn't see anyone there, so I took the truck out and parked it just outside the gate in a conspicuous spot. As I was waiting there a man approached me asking about our rates.

I let him know our prices but told him I was just waiting to go on a flight, and the weather was already starting to look iffy.

Apparently he and his girlfriend had intended to fly on the sched service, but the plane was full and he was stuck waiting around on standby. It was the last flight until monday, and he had to be back to work by then, so the situation was starting to get stressful. Turned out he wanted to go to the same place I was taking the passenger I was waiting for. "Well, I'm actually waiting to take somewhere there right now. If you wanna hang around for a bit until she gets here you might be able to split the flight with her." His face just lit up. When my passenger showed up she was thrilled to split the cost of the charter. She had booked a charter with us for the same reason that the guy and his girlfriend couldn't get on the sched run - a wedding was the cause of the unusual amount of travellers.

It made my day to see the stress melt off of the man's face. He was so relieved and thankful, he was calling me an angel in disguise. Long story short, I made a couple people's day, which made my day.

2 comments: