Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Next!

Well after having to do a quick flight to re-fly one line that we somehow missed, we got the ok to move out. Next stop, Sioux Lookout for maintenance, which is where I am now. It was a long 4.5 hr flight with headwinds, but the weather was great the whole way there.

This was my first time at the Sioux airport, and the runway sits at a lower elevation than the main ramp, and there's a taxi-way that winds its way up the hill almost like a mini mountain road. It was kind of fun going up. I imagine it will be even more fun going downhill, its almost like a go-cart track. Hopefully the winds are such when I depart that I'll get to use it going downhill.

After landing and parking I couldn't find my wallet for the life of me. It was not a good time. I had already called the cab and had my bags loaded, and after searching my bad a dozen times and tearing apart all the nooks and crannies in the airplane that it might have fallen, I still couldn't find it. I had to tell the cabby that I was going to go walk the parking area where I had been walking around after landing to see if I could find it, and told him I'd call him back. He didn't seem happy but didn't say much. What could I do? I couldn't pay him.

The owner of the AMO (Maintenance Shop) came by as I was looking around on the ground for my wallet. It was after-hours but he knew I was coming so I guess he swung by to see if I made it. He asked if I needed a lift into town and I gratefully accepted and told him of my predicament. When I got to the hotel thankfully when I booked the room I gave them my credit card, so I still got to check in and had a place to sleep for the night. I wasn't sure how I was going to get dinner though, I hadn't really eaten all day as we were in a bit of a rush after our morning flight to get out of there.

After calling my operator and have him tear apart the van to see if I left my wallet in there, I found it - stuffed behind a flap in a pocket of my flight bag. I felt dumb, I don't know how I didn't find it the previous 12 times I searched my bag, but also I felt relieved. Losing your wallet while you're in a strange town 1000 miles from home sucks. It probably took 2 years off my life with the stress, lol. But all is well again. Happy ending.

On a side note, I ate dinner at a place called Dick and Nellie's Bar and Grill cause I heard it was wing night. The wings sucked. They were nice and saucy, but very small and overpriced, especially for "wing night". On the plus side their nachos were huge, and loaded with cheese and stuff. That made up for the disappointing wings. I couldn't even finish the nachos. They'd be a full meal in themselves for 2 big eaters. Just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment