Friday, March 25, 2011

Don't Blink You'll Miss It

We finished up our second small job, and quite quickly. Luck was on our side this time and everything in the airplane is working beautifully, and we've had almost a week now of fantastic blue sky weather.

Now we're back in Thunder Bay. Today we both started and finished a third small job that popped up here. It only took us one flight, and we continue to have great weather. The Thunder Bay job was very small as well, we finished it in one flight today. We didn't have to do an FOM (calibration flight) for it because the one we did on the last job was geographically near enough to count for this job as well. The survey block was small enough to bang off in 4 hrs even. Tomorrow we finally head to Rankin Inlet.

I enjoyed flying out of Thunder Bay, if only for a short time. Thunder Bay while not a large city by Southern Ontario standards is a large city for Northern Ontario, and is therefore a major air carrier hub. Its quite a busy airport, complete with its own control tower and all the fixings of a major airport. Its been a while since I've flown out of a busy towered airport, and it was good to get back into that fast paced environment of busy airports and clean the rust off of those skills. I do really enjoy the fast paced atmosphere and wish I could spend more time here. But oh well, duty calls.

My next task for the moment is planning my exact route up to Rankin Inlet, and also look into how my operator is going to get there as well. I'll probably do it in a couple days. We're not going to drive the van all the way up there, and we have too much gear to bring it all in the airplane, so my operator is most likely going to have to fly commercial air service up there, along with much of our gear.

To the best of my memory, the trip up to Rankin Inlet will be both the furthest north I have ever been, as well as be the longest continuous cross country trip I will have taken. Only by a few miles though.

2 comments:

  1. I measured Rankin Inlet as 1600 km north of Thunder Bay! That's a long way to go over pristine land but what a geat Canadian geography lesson. Sighting a polar bear would be a nice check on the bucket list.

    Good to know the plane is running well. It's kind of amusing to consider that your first "cross country" flight was about 50 miles in Southern Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ya that first cross country seems like a LONG time ago now... and to me it seemed epic at the time.

    ReplyDelete