Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hanging Out

So right now its Tuesday morning, I'm just waiting for the call that the plane is ready. I'm also crossing my fingers that the weather will improve, because the ceilings are at 800 ft, so its not quite VFR and there's forecast to be mixed rain and snow which is ideal icing conditions as well.

The maintenance base runway didn't disappoint. The width between the trees from side to side is about 60-80, just barely twice the wingspan of the Cherokee. I came over the trees at the threshold a little fast and ended up floating for much of the runway before I plunked the wheels down. There is a slight dip in the runway, making the middle of the runway the lowest point, which meant I was slowing down slightly uphill. That assisted my breaking and I ended up having at least a couple hundred feet of runway left between me and a floatplane parked at the end, so all ended well. When I get back I'll post some pictures I promise. I don't have the cord that connects my camera to my computer with me, otherwise now would have been a good time to do it.

After I shut down filled out the logs and gathered my stuff I took a taxi from the there to the main airport, where the company keeps a car for the pilots. Its a pimping 1990-something Buick Roadmaster station wagon, so it was nice to have wheels for my stay here.

Not much else to report. There's a small Canadian Tire here, so I spent a lot of my time in there. I have always felt a little sorry for my passengers when flying because I have a nice comfy David Clark headseat to keep the noise down, but the passengers don't have any ear protection. So I picked up a box of those little foam disposable earplugs to offer them. I don't carry passengers THAT often, so I figured a box of 80 pairs should last a while if I kept them in my flight bag for them. We'll see I guess, when they're gone they're gone. Anyways I have to check out from the hotel soon, so I think I'm going to go check in with Company and see what the plan is.

No comments:

Post a Comment