Sunday, April 12, 2009

Finally Flying

Written April 11, 2009

So yesterday I finally started flying. The day before I did a quick checkout with the other pilot who flies for the company, and he gave me the thumbs up, so yesterday the chief pilot and I went up for a single checkout before they turned me loose.

While on takeoff however I noted the airspeed indicator was non-functional, however it was too late to abort the takeoff. If the airspeed indicator doesn’t work, this indicates that the pitot tube is clogged. The pitot tube is a little tube hanging off the underside of one wing that measures ram air pressure, and displays it in the form of knots or mph, on our airspeed indicator in the cockpit. If the pitot tube is blocked, our airspeed indicator doesn’t work. Its not uncommon in snowy conditions for the pitot tube to become blocked with snow or ice, so every certified airplane is equipped with the ability to electrically heat up the pitot tube via a switch in the cockpit to melt off any ice in the pitot tube and thus unclog it.

The airspeed indicator is one of the most important instruments in the cockpit because essentially we fly the airplane using it. Our stall speed is in the form indicated airspeed, we also use a specific airspeed to achieve the best climb performance, and to tell us when its structurally safe to lower the flaps and landing gear (if applicable). So its nice to have a working airspeed indicator.

Anyways in this case we were already past the point of no return. I should have caught this on the takeoff roll before it was too late to go airborne, but it was only my second flight in the airplane, and being not too familiar and comfortable in the airplane yet my reaction times were diminished. Not to mention the Cherokee 6 accelerates and climbs like a bat out of hell when its empty. If I was more comfortable in the airplane I am confident I’d be more on the ball. Oh well, so we did the circuit anyways. In any regard the chief pilot was happy with my performance and was content to turn me loose on the cargo runs.

Once we got back on the ground we fiddled a bit with blowing out the pitot tube to unclog it, and I took it for one more test flight circuit and the airspeed indicator seemed to be working well this time.

So finally we loaded up the Cherokee with 1000 lbs of groceries and off I went. I flew up the coast with my cargo, landed, and helped load it into the pickup truck they had waiting for me. When I got back there was another load waiting for me, so we loaded the plane up once again and off I went again, this time I had about 900 lbs of potatoes and a few cases of pop. I had three trips for the day, all the while thinking that this beats the heck out of framing houses! Other then when I’m loading and unloading the airplane, which doesn‘t even really take more then 5-10 minutes, it doesn’t even feel like I’m working. Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you think you'll manage to snap a few pictures for us one of those days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, I already have. I'm just waiting for my internet to get hooked up. Right now I'm borrowing a wifi signal from next door and its intermittent at best - no good for uploading pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad that sounds awesome, I'm so jealous. How long was each flight? How's the Cherokee 6 - with 1000 lb load, do you takeoff with full fuel? Whats the wx like? Hope its going good for you man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, its going great so far.

    The flight's about 40 minutes each way. There's four tanks in it, two mains and two outboard tanks, we usually keep the mains full and leave tips empty.

    At gross the Cherokee takes much longer to get off the ground, but still climbs reasonably well. In the flare just as you'd expect it sinks a little quicker. All in all its pretty docile - its pretty much a minivan with wings, lol.

    ReplyDelete