Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Good Problem to Have

So my second bit of news, on a much happier note than my accident is that I found a job again! It kind of happened right out of the blue actually. I had applied to a number of places back in the early spring, and had a job interview for an aerial fire patrol position, but I only made it to their second-pick list, meaning I didn't get the job but if someone didn't work out they'd give me a call. I wasn't about to hold my breath.

Other than that it appeared that I had struck out for flying work this year, and I resigned myself to finding a job in construction again, which I have several years experience in, and has always been my fallback, even though I don't really enjoy it.

All of a sudden about a week ago I get an email from an aerial survey company I've been sending resumes to every few months for the last year, and they're hiring now. Next thing I know two days later I'm on my way driving down to Toronto for a job interview. The job interview went terrific. I liked the sound of the job, I got a warm and fuzzy feeling about the owner and business, and I thought he was impressed enough with me as well. It turned out he was, because later that night I was offered the job! It seemed like it all happened about as fast as you just read it.

THEN all of a sudden the next day I get another phone call - the fire patrol company. Someone on the primary hiring list didn't work out apparently, and I'm next in line. So in the span of 3 days I go from no real prospective flying jobs this summer and working construction to deciding between 2 offers! A nice problem to have. Both companies seem like great companies to work for, with advantages to each, but I decided to stick with the survey position. It was a tough decision, and some people may think I'm crazy because I just gave up a multi-engine flying job for a single-engine flying job, but I'm pretty happy with my decision. For one, aviation is a small industry, and I didn't want to burn bridges by bailing on one company in favour of another, I already made a commitment and I'm going to stick with it. Secondly, the survey job pays better, and I think its going to be more interesting work overall, and more flexible with time off, which is appealing to me. The job is actually a low-level surveying position flying a Cessna 206, which means that most of the flying will be done at 200 ft agl - pretty intense. I'll be away for 4-6 weeks at a time, and then I get to come home for some time off before heading off to a new location.

Even though I won't be logging multi-time, I'm pretty comfortable with my decision, I think it just may be a job that I'll enjoy enough to stick around for a while, rather than just taking it to build time and move on. We'll see what happens however. As for now, I don't start for another week or so. I was supposed to start right away, but the airplane is down for maintenance, and waiting for parts, which is good cause it won't be such a scramble for me to get packed and gone. Nonetheless I'm itching to get going! Looking forward to more adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment