Friday, November 20, 2009

Boat Hunting

I've been playing airliner service for the last couple days. I've had 3 trips so far that has involved taking a load of freight up the coast, unloading, installing the seats, taking a group of people further north, dropping them off, picking up more, heading back south to my original stop, dropping THOSE people off, and then taking more people on my final leg back south. There's been a lot of people wanting to move around lately.

Today was no exception. There was supposed to be fog this morning, but there was none out my window when I woke up. The GFA weather map was also indicating low cloud/fog all the way up the coast, however standing on the ground andn looking to the north there was no visual indication of anything. I shrugged, the weather forecast is often wrong, its so tough to make a prediction with so few weather stations.

So I took off with my load of pop and chips and 4 seats stuffed into the back and headed north. It turned out that the GFA was sort of half right, and I ran into the forecast layer of low cloud about 20 miles south of my first stop, and long story short I got the trip done, but we called it quits when I got back because we were picking up some airframe icing along most of the route.

So I went home, used the time to do some shopping and make some lunch. About an hour later my boss came by to go for a local flight. Apparently some mischievious kids untied some boats by the river, and they got carried away by the tide. We were being chartered to take a flight up and down the river to see if we could locate them. One of the locals who had lost his boat came with us, and I also took along our co-op student who's been working with us this semester as a spotter. Our co-op student and I took one truck to the airport to get the plane ready while my boss took another truck to pick up the client.

As they pulled up I turned around to greet the client, and he looked at me in disbelief and said, "How old are you?" Lol. I confidently answered that I'm 24. My answer didn't seem to put him at ease. Personally I don't think 24 is young at all to be doing this job, but the general public would seem to disagree. I take it as a compliment usually when people ask my age or mention/insinuate that I'm young to be a pilot. After we had all gotten seated and strapped in he asked me how long I've been flying. I told him I'd been flying for 8 years now, to which he relaxed and chuckled, "So you've been flying since you were 16? Heh heh, ok now I trust you.". Although I haven't been a professional pilot yet for 8 years, it wasn't a lie. I signed up for flying lessons soon after my 16th birthday. I could have told him how much flight time I had, but I find for most people uninitiated in the aviation world a total of hours doesn't mean much, since they don't really have any comparison.

It was a little warmer then up the coast, so icing wasn't an issue for the flight, but we were still stuck crusing around at 400-500 ft through misty conditions. It wasn't a great day for sightseeing, but finding boats was somewhat time-sensitive, considering the river current could potentially carry them out into the bay, where they'd be gone for good - forever consigned to roaming the vast emptyness of open water. Six boats had washed away. We found 2 right away that had floated into a small island inlet. Several trips up and down the river, and out to the bay didn't turn up the other four unfortunately. Too bad, when we took off I was fully expecting that we'd recover all of them. I guess not. I sure don't want to be those kids if they ever find out who did it, if it was my boat that got lost I'd be ready to skin them alive.

2 comments:

  1. There actually was 11 boats missing. My boat was included in that 11. But 5 were found within the first couple hours early this morning. But, I think the remainint missing 4 have gone out into the bay. Because one of the boats I found this morning was stuck on some grass just before turning a corner to head out to open water. This is the first time this year we've stuff like this. My boat has been sunk once and another time all the wires on my outboard motor were cut.. silly people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you started flying when you were 14 because I recall thinking that you had a chance to get your pilot's license before you earned your driver's license. Tell them that you had your first plane before you had your first car.

    John, you must have the patience of Job not to be hopping mad. I'd be spitting fire.

    ReplyDelete