Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The End

Has it really been over a year and a half since writing? Wow.

Well, it is with a lot of satisfaction, and a little bit of sadness that I am announcing the end to this blog. I have (almost) entirely transitioned into a new career in web development, and since my professional flying career is drawing to a close, and I no longer have a personal aircraft, there won't be much to write about. And indeed my sources of inspiration have been growing thin for a while now. Not that I don't still enjoy flying, in fact like many things that have been a part of your life for many years (15+ years now for me), flying has become more like an old friend. What once was new, exhilarating, and a grande adventure has now become familiar and comfortable. Not that one state is better than the other, its just a natural progression.

All good things must come to an end. My decision to leave professional aviation comes mainly for family reasons -- I now have a young daughter, and the airborne survey demands too much travel to enjoy and be there for my family. So now I've switched to my other primary interest in life -- coding. I work out of my basement, I lunch-break with my wife, and I can finally do things I never could before like join a summer baseball team.

Its a bit sad to think that I'm leaving a career that's been a part of my life since I was 16, but does anyone REALLY ever leave aviation? My old company will still call me on occasion to go fly for them for short stints, and maybe someday I'll purchase another private aircraft. The future is not set.

Thanks to my readers and supporters who encouraged me to continue writing and expressed their enjoyment of my posts. And to my sister, again, who at one point compiled and edited my entire blog archive into a printed book. That was a special gift.

1 comment:

  1. Chad if you read this I would be interested in seeing your accelerate stop data and formula if you would be willing to share them. Our company is trying to develop our own take off planner for our 4 navajo chieftains that includes a simpler way to determine accel/stop than using the charts in the poh. Hope to here from you. Regards Jim navajoflyer@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete