Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Timed Out

By friday if I keep up my current pace I will be timed out so far as number of days worked over the past 30. I can't go more then 30 days without having at least 3 days off in there somewhere, and by friday I'll have worked 27 days straight, so I get to take my 3 days off all at once! Whoo hoo! I'm also getting pretty close to timing out in the flight time over the last 30 days category. So the plan is to finish whatever trips I have on Friday and then I'll fire up the 'ol twin and head 'er back to London late in the evening.

There's a small 2100 ft turf strip 2 minutes down the road from my parents' farm, and last time I was in London we went down to check it out and talk to the owner. Unfortunately it was a little rough for what I'd be comfortable flying the Twin Comanche into. That's one of the big downfalls of that airplane, the props have such little ground clearance I'm terrified of the nosewheel sinking into a depression and causing two prop strikes. So I guess we're stuck with the half hour drive from CYXU. I can't complain though, it sure beats a 6 hr train ride plus a 10 hour drive!

A couple days a Piper Navajo (one of the regulars) and I arrived back at the airport at the same time. He chose to land on runway 24, and I chose 32, hoping to beat him in. The threshold of 32 intersects 24 at about the halfway mark, making a T shape. As it turned out he was ahead of me by about 5 seconds, so I extended my downwind leg a little to give him time to land and roll past 32. Unfortunately I misjudged the amount of time it would take for him to roll through and turned base and final way too soon. We saw each other the whole time, so there wasn't any real danger, but it was embarrasing when he elected to hold short and let me land before he taxied across. It was an honest mistake but it made me look like a little bit of a jerk. Whoopsy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a time building job. What are you logging in a month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I'm managing around 100-110 hrs a month, but July will probably top 120.

    ReplyDelete