Saturday, March 17, 2007

May I Never See the Day...

I was browsing through the photos of Twin Comanche's on Airliners.net. My airplane has made it into the photo gallery. Look up C-FINY to find it. But I also came across this photo:

That is a Twin Comanche that seen better days. Every airport has airplines like this sitting around. Airplanes that at one point have had some reason for its owners to abandon it and leave it to rot. In Sarnia there is an old V-tail Bonanza sitting behind one of the buildings in a pile of junk. I've always wondered about it - its history, and what happened to it that made it no longer worth maintaining. Its been sitting there for as long as I can remember, which goes back for at least 15 years. Airplanes like these always seem to be permanent fixtures of the airports. They've sat there for as long as anyone can remember and will most likely continue to sit there and decay for many more years. This one in the picture is missing the nose cowl, as well as the tail cone fairing at the back. Also judging by the way that its sitting on its tail in the grass I would imagine the engines have been stripped off it too. There are also very obvious signs of corrosion. This airplane has been dead for a very long time, and all I can say is may I never see the day my Twin Comanche looks like the one in the picture.

1 comment:

  1. Sad to see, indeed. You do have to wonder about their history and what it took to abandon them. When you were writing, "It reminds me of..." I thought you were going to write about the Aztec. I often wonder how much more it can take before it becomes a write-off.
    Are you sitting down? Good. What about talking to Brian about it and see if he is willing to work on it for a piece of the ownership. Then we can sell it. I'll bet we can get it for a song - maybe even low enough to sell off as parts and we can get the avionics in it. What do you think? Is it worth a phone call. (I know, I know...this is one of dad's crazy ideas. But give it some thought, there may be money to be made. They must be getting desperate by now.)

    ReplyDelete